Studierendenwerk Trier, Anstalt des öffentlichen Rechts (AöR)


Semester ticket

Semester ticket: mobile in Trier and surrounding even without own car

Lost your student card or the date printed on the card isn't easy to read anymore?

To tide over the time until a new student card is produced there is the possibility to use bus and train with a provisional semester ticket.

It is made at the Servicepoint of the Studiwerk, both locations at university and university of applied sciences after the evidence of the certificate of enrollment and passport.

The provisional semester ticket will be made within two minutes and is valid as ticket only together with the passport.

  • General information

    The semester ticket allows you to be mobile at the location of your studies and in the area without your own car.  For the way to the lecture, the way back from the cinema or for the journey at the weekend the semester ticket allows for the simple use of busses and trains in the area and in town, without you having to pay for each trip separately.  And all of this without having to worry about parking!
    Already since the summer semester 1992 the Trier semester ticket has been offered to the students of the Trier Universities as a service provided by the Studierendenwerk Trier and the transportation companies of the area.

    With the use of the semester ticket all students contribute actively to the protection of the environment by reducing the individual traffic and the connected emissions of noise and pollutants.
    This does not only save time, but above all it saves money and spares your nerves.
    Instead of getting worked up in the car due to the red traffic lights and traffic jams you better spend your time with sensible things whilst being taken to your destination!

  • Territory for driving by bus




    Your student card is valid as ticket in the shown area of the VRT ((Verkehrsverbund Region Trier with the city of Trier, Landkreis Bernkastel-Kues, Landkreis Bitburg-Prüm, Landkreis Daun und Trier-Saarburg).

    Not included are all additional prices and the distance Trier – airport Frankfurt-Hahn by line R100 or busses offered by flibco.

    Find a big picture of the territory as download.



  • Distances for driving by train

    Geltungsbereich im Schienennetz

    Your student card is valid as a ticket at the following distances:

      • Trier-Koblenz (Hbf.)
      • Trier-Saarbrücken (Hbf.)
      • Trier-Perl (Moselaufwärts-Dreiländereck Deutschland/Frankreich/Luxemburg)
      • Trier-Igel (Landesgrenze Luxemburg)
      • Trier-Jünkerath/Eifel (Richtung Köln/Landesgrenze NRW)

    You can use it also for the distance Bullay - Traben-Trabach.

    Find a big picture of the territory as download. 


    Important news to all users of rail traffic

    Using the semester ticket at the distances from Bengel to Koblenz Hbf and from Taben to Saarbrücken Hbf every student has to show the passport, a BahnCard or another official document with your photo additional to the student card.

    If you cannot show the additional asked document you will be treated as a person without ticket.

  • Ticket and validity

    Student cards as this example aren't accepted as ticket.

    The student card of the university and the University of Applied Sciences is valid as the ticket for bus or train.  Students at the Umwelt-Campus Birkenfeld have their own semester ticket.
    The validity of the semester ticket corresponds to the printed validity on the student card. Generally, the printed period is the current semester, for which the student is enrolled. If you are already reported for the next semester the student card is valid for the current and the next semester.

    The student identification card is personal. Therefore, the semester ticket is not transferable to other people. Contraventions will lead to charges against the user.
    Own children up to the age of six years may accompany you free of charge.

    All students are responsible to the transportation companies for the orderly state of their student identification cards.
    Student cards with illegible or expired dates are invalid and in the event of complaint may be withdrawn by the control staff.

    If you use your student card carefully it will last as long as your study. Therefore you may

    • Keep your card in the cover or the purse.
    • Only take the card out of the cover to load it at the automat or to buy something at an automat.
      To pay in the Mensa or cafeteria the card can remain in the cover. Consider: every time you touch the stripe where the date is printed you destroy it a bit.
    • Don't carry the student card in the hip pocket. The antenna will be deformed and paying isn't possible anymore.


  • Contribution rate

    All students of the Trier Universities (at the location Trier) are obliged to the financing of the semester ticket with a payment per semester, which will be collected in addition to the social contribution (Sozialbeitrag).
    Thus, at re-registration the semester ticket is included in the price. As the financing is divided to all students the individual share of the contribution is unbeatably low in comparison to the normal tickets.

    Since the beginning of the winter semester 2019/2020 the semester ticket costs 147,30 Euros for six months.

    Severely disabled students with the signs of destitute or blind in their identity card may apply for exemption from the semester ticket.
    This also applies to the students of the University and University of Applied Sciences, who are enrolled at both institutions and have therefore paid twice for the semester ticket.

    At the first six weeks of the respective semester, please send the informal application for a refund with a copy of the relevant evidence as well as the details of your bank and contact details for possible queries to:
    Studierendenwerk Trier, Universitätsring 12a, 54296 Trier.

  • Call-Collecting-Taxi and Call-Line-Taxi

    At some distances, during times with little traffic, the local traffic is replaced by Call-Collecting-Taxi (Anruf-Sammel-Taxi [AST]) and Call-Line-Taxi (Anruf-Linien-Taxi [ALT]) .

    Both are similar offers with different names depending on the distance they are used: the Call-Collecting-Taxi (Anruf-Sammel-Taxi [AST]) travells at some lines in the city of Trier whereas the Call-Line-Taxi (Anruf-Linien-Taxi [ALT] drives at the lines 300, 311, 500 (RMV) and line 444 (Moselbahn).

    How do they function?
    Both travel only at certain times, which are marked with "AS" or "Al" in the schedule. After announcement by phone the taxi will pick up you at the busstop you normally use and will leave you at the busstop at your destination. By calling you had to name the two busstops where you want to start and end as well as the time to start and the number of persons.

    How to order AST or ALT:

    • For AST please call 0049 6 51 7 17 33 33 at least 30 minutes for your wanted departure time.
    • For ALT at the distances of the lines 300, 311 and 500 please call 0049 6 51 7 17 33 33 at least 45 minutes before starting the trip. More than 4 persons have to announce the trip 24 hours before departure time.
    • For ALT at the distance of Moselbahn (line 444) the announcement is nesseccary 120 minutes before the trip. Tel. 0049 65 61/91 25 12.

    Price for using AST or ALT:

    Your student card is coincidentally the ticket. For using the AST each trip will cost 2,50 € as additional fee. After 20 p.m. every person using the ALT had to pay 2,00 €.

  • Travelling with bicycle

    RegioRadler Copyright: VRT

    In the busses of the Stadtwerke Trier (moving only in Trier) you can take your bike without extra cost.

    The other companies of the VRT demand a "EinzelTicket ermäßigt" which is cheaper than for a person.

    Buggies and wheelchairs always have priority (decision of the busdriver).

    At busses with the numbers RR 290, 300, 333, 441 and 500 an additional fee is possible. In times with high request a reservation is essential.

    On the trains you can take your bike with you without further costs on Monday - Friday since 9:00 am and Saturday and Sunday the whole day. At other times you have to buy a ticket for your bike. Travelling with a bicycle is only possible if there is enough place for it. There is no space-demanding.

  • Free journey in Luxembourg with "mKaart"!

    "mKaart" and "student subscription" are the keywords for free mobility in Luxembourg for students.

    Valid from the 1st of August to the 30th of September of the subsequent year “mKaart” entitles the free use of public transportation in Luxembourg.

    Like the student's identity card of university and university of applied sciences “mKaart“ is a plastic card as small as a credit card with electronic chip and your printed photo. The information about "student subscription" is deposited.
    How do I receive a “mKaart“?
    All students who have not yet completed the 30th year have to create an account at first.
    Then you fill the application for a "Studentenabo" subscription - as download.  You’ll find the German translation of the application and the conditions on preservation, issue and use of a "Studentenabo" subscription as download, too.

    Additionel to an original matriculation certificate, a copy of an official identity card as well as a passport photo – 35 x45 mm and not older than 12 months - you send the application in french at: Verkéiersverbond, post office box 640, L-2016 Luxembourg or deliver it at a railway station in luxembourg. After approx. 10 days your personal mKaart is ready.

    As owner of Trierer semester ticket and mKaart you can join a train in Trier and stay down to Luxembourg without further paying. The bus routes 3 and 81 end in Wasserbilligerbrück near the bridge. Unfurtunaly you have to cross over the bridge on foot. In Luxembourg you can use other busses and other trains with your mKaart.

    Attention: mKaart is only valid in Luxembourg. This is also true for the buslines by Voyages Emile Weber driving in Luxembourg as well as in Germany.
    116 (Schweich – Kirchberg)
    117 (Trier – P+R Mesenich – Findel – Luxembourg),
    118 (Trier – P+R Mesenich – Kirchberg – Luxembourg)
    132 (Nittel – Grevenmacher - Kirchberg – Luxembourg)
    134 (Konz – Grevenmacher – Kirchberg – Luxembourg ) and line
    306 (Trier – Wasserbilligerbrück – P+R Mesenich – Belvaux)
    Students who want to travel with Voyages Emile Weber have to buy an extra ticket for the distance driven in Germany. It’s only available as Supplément annuel “Studentenpas Regio” for 130,00 €.

    Tip for owners of the Jumbokaart:
    Your Jumbokaart remains valid up to the final date. Alternatively you change already before this date to mKaart.
    Similar to student card of university or university of applied sciences: Please remember to lengthen your card.

  • Jumbokaart

    Jumbokaart is replaced with mKaart

    Since August 2017 all students can use train and busses at no charge.

    If your Jumbokaart is still valid you can use it or change to mKaart. Between request and collection there are about ten days. How to receive a mKaart? Please read the article above.


Foto: Gisela Keil

Gisela Keil

Mitarbeiterin im StudiwerkOffice SO! & Tutorium, Internationales, Semesterticket, KfW-Studienkredit
Tel. 0651 / 8103 - 544
Fax 0651 / 8103 - 541

Mensagebäude Schneidershof

Montag bis Freitag:
10.00 Uhr bis 14.00 Uhr